Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Sam!

Today is my son, Sam's, 7th birthday. I am taking shark cupcakes to his class and then I am picking him up early from school and we are going to Toys R Us and Chuck E Cheese's. You can totally tell he is my child because this morning in the car, he said, "Mom do you have that coupon to that place with the cool shirts in the mall? Because I might like to get a cool shirt for picture day." He is talking about the Gap and their 40% off Wednesday coupons. And yes, Sam, I do!

I don't want to be all sappy Mom on here, but Sam amazes me every day. He is bright in a quirky, fun way--never pretentious or self-aware. He is also incredibly sensitive, a feature that doesn't often jive with his tough, boyish exterior. His feelings can get hurt remarkably fast, and he is always thinking of those around him. This is probably my favorite thing about him. I remember the day he was born--I was reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I joked around that we should name him Ernest or Jack (after the protagonist in the book) because of it, and how I wouldn't do that to him because I didn't want him to turn out as some super-masculine dude. It pleases me that he is not, but I do worry about that sensitivity sometimes. Some girl will break his heart someday. Actually, probably a lot of girls. And I will have to go to jail for murder when I catch up with her (just joking--violence is not the answer).

Anyway, last night Sam showed me this book he has where he writes down his favorite things and makes predictions and things like that. I loved a few of the things. Here are some of the things that he has written:

I officially predict that 20 years from now, cars will run on ham instead of gas and underwear will be made of wood. (I kinda hope he's wrong on this.)
Favorite TV show: Batman
Band: White Zombie (yup)
Sports Team: A's
Food: Hot Dogs
Celebrity: Elvis (he he)
Smell: Bacon
Shoe Brand: Skechers
Store: Toys R Us
Cereal: Cocoa Puffs
Super Hero: Batman

I am going to make a copy of this list, and when he turns 18, I'm going to show him. I'm eager to see how much things change. Or actually, I'm not eager. I want him to stay like he is, this perfect little being of light and hope, forever. Since I know that isn't possible, I'm content to just watch him grow and blossom and change and be eternally happy that I get to spend my life with him.

One thing I hope doesn't change is that sports team. Because if this kid became a Red Sox fan, I would die 10,000 deaths. And then I would go on a murderous rampage. In that case, violence, indeed, would be the answer.

1 comment: