Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Inappropriate




Today I am just wholly inappropriate, both for work and for the season. I am wearing a spring dress and have only slightly modified it by putting a denim jacket over top of it and adding a scarf. The top picture shows the cute detailing, but I promise that I won't remove the jacket. That would just be too much. If I were to do that, little green Season Police would hop out of my desk drawer, slap tights on me and taunt me publicly.
But you know what? I don't care. I needed to wear a spring dress today. For one thing, my husband and mother in law (the mother in law who watches Alice during the day) both had a stomach virus yesterday, which means I had to stay home with Alice and work from home. Not a big deal. We had a great time, and I actually got more work done than I thought I would. But I think I got a touch of the virus yesterday, and today my stomach is just a touch queasy. Not enough to really do anything but make everything look unappetizing and make me crave an intervenous drip of Diet Coke. And, obviously, to wear non-work appropriate spring dresses. The truth is, I couldn't abide having anything with a waistband up around my tummy this morning, and the other two black dresses I tried would have required heels and/or Spanx to make them look like anything. So this is what was left.
And also, did I mention my husband had a stomach flu? I did? Well, let me explain that to you. My husband got this horrible, horrible disease yesterday that made him throw up so hard that blood shot out of his nose. I'm not even kidding. If you read this blog regularly (and Buddha bless you if you do), you know that my husband can be a bit of a drama king when it comes to sickness. He's always MUCH sicker in his mind than in reality. But, yesterday, HOLY SHIT. He was actually really, really ill. The blood thing...NO JOKE. There are parts of our bathroom floor that still look like a crime scene because of it (when I scrubbed the floor with equal parts Lysol and my own tears yesterday, I missed the area directly behind the trash can that was, yes, covered in blood, and yes, I saw it this morning and had to sit down and get out the vapors).
So the moral of the story is, if you see a girl dressed very inappropriately for the season today, it may be because she personally witnessed the man she loves shooting blood and other bodily products out of his head. So, you know, don't judge. She may need that completely work-inappropriate dress not to feel like complete and total crap.
If you also want to look mindnumbingly inappropriate, here's how:
Dress: Old Navy
Denim Jacket: J. Crew Factory
Scarf: Old Navy (pretty old)
Boots: Frye
Big wooly socks underneath: J. Crew
Earrings: gift from my daughter Gabby
Watch: Merona for Target

No comments:

Post a Comment