Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kids Say the Damnedest Things

On Sunday, we decided to go out for tacos and a bit of shopping. I wore this dress:
I got it at Old Navy for like $15 a while ago. It is cute and simple and easy to wear with sandals and simple jewelry. Plus, right now, I am really hurting for clothes. Last summer I was pregnant with Alice and the summer before that I was a good 3-4 sizes larger than I am now. So I literally have nothing in my summer wardrobe--even basics like tanks and t-shirts are miles too big. And the even worse thing is that I am still struggling to dress this new body. Styles that I used to rely on no longer flatter me and I am still a little unsure about the fit on other things. This makes ordering online a bit of a challenge. Plus, with having to buy everything from basics on up, I have to supplement with a lot of affordable, cheap things. This was a big reason why we were going out--my husband was tired of hearing me complain and was hauling me off to Target and Old Navy to shut me up.

Anyway, I was wearing the dress and thought I looked super cute. While we were getting our tacos, though, I started thinking that maybe the dress was a bit too short. I had worn it a couple of times and washed it, and I noticed that it was hard to bend without showing the goodies. So I was doing my best to crouch and move gracefully. However, as we were leaving and I was gathering the free taco coupons we had gotten for coming out on a Sunday, my son grabbed my butt. It was through my dress, but it scared me a bit. I yelped and took him outside and told him not to do that. We had quite a detailed conversation about it, but I didn't think a lot about it because, well, he is a 6 year old boy and they do weird things. Plus, Sam is going through a potty humor phase right now (which will probably last until he is 30), so anything about butts or anything like that is hi-freakin'-larious to him. So he got a lecture, but a bit of understanding on our part.

So we drove to Target and were getting out of the car, I was popping up Alice's stroller so that I could go into Old Navy and try stuff on (we usually use the Maya or the Oh Snap! in these circumstances, but with trying stuff on, I opted for the stroller) and Sam ran behind me and this time pulled up my dress! I yelped (louder this time) and told my husband what he had done. This time we talked to him a lot sterner. It was a bit hard because by this point, both he and Gabby were cracking up. They had been a bit wild all day, so, again, we were understanding, but told him he wouldn't be able to play his DS on the way home as a punishment. We walked on in to Target.

Sam waited until we got in the door and was standing in the middle of the store and then proceeded to grace the shoppers of Target with this gem:

"Mommy, you should really get some underwear that covers your butt cheeks. I have some, Gabby has some, Daddy has some, and Alice has some. You should get some too. Go to the mommy's underwear section and get some."

And it was at that moment that I realized that indeed, I was wearing a thong. If Sam had seen the matching bra that I was wearing with hopes that the kids would go to bed early that night, he would have had much more to say, I'm sure.

So yes, my son saw my thong underwear. I am starting to see why a lot of moms wear nothing but high waisted jeans, granny panties and their husband's t-shirts.

And yes, my spring/summer wardrobe budget has been further slashed because now I need to be saving up for his therapy bills. Awesome.

In addition, if you are interested, Old Navy has their Weekend Jeans on sale for $17 this week, which is like half price. I pink puffy heart these jeans--they are a boyfriend style, but actually fit. I tried Loft's boyfriend jeans, but a) they are $80 and b) they are freakin' huge. As in, I was wearing jeans that were two sizes smaller than my normal size, and they were still a bit loose and slouchy in a bad way. The 00's were even too big for my mom. So for $17 (reg price is $34), you can get the same look and it fits relatively TTS. Also, the ruffled jacket from Old Navy featured in this month's Real Simple is pretty cute on. I wore it yesterday and got a lot of comments. Just a thought if you are a thong-wearing-non-Mom-jeans-wearing-therapy-inducing Mama such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment